After importing the model into Maya, I looked over the model again and decided that all of the panels needed splitting up into individual pieces, as when I first modelled it, I had just box modelled it and left it entirely in one piece!! Obviously, that was far from ideal, so over the weekend I started separating everything. I wrote on Monday that the file refused to open and I would have to start all over again. I can finally say that the panels are all now nicely separated.
I can move back to the suspension and steering system now before moving onto the smaller things, such as accessories.
I am really enjoying modelling this Land Rover Pink Panther in Maya, I suspect I shall have to take parts of it to Mudbox for damage and further detail though!