Displacement issues

Posted by on Oct 10, 2012 in Works In Progress | No Comments

So still plugging away on the project, had a couple of weeks away so fell drastically behind. Seriously hoping the next one moves slightly faster than molasses.

I was just about to render out the ambient occlusion / displacement passes when I noticed an issue with the model – I had been working with an incorrectly scaled part of the house. I had been staring at it so long I hadn’t noticed the mistake. Anyway, I quickly re did the UV mapping, texturing and the displacement map. I reapplied the new map, and am now running into issues with the model being mushed all the place.

It is pretty much mid grey all over, except for where I want stuff pulled/pushed out/in.

I have tried a variety of file types: 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, a variety of alpha gains etc and different scales of displacement. Ending up with a variety of different results (obviously) but none that are remotely satisfying. It is driving me up the wall as it is now dragging this project out farther than I had anticipated.

I am hoping to crack this problem today and get it finished by tomorrow so a new project can be started!!

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge